Monday, September 24, 2007

Je suis arrive

It is so nice to be back in Gabon! I arrived very late on Friday night after 33 continuous hours of travel. The six hour layover in Casablanca in the middle of the night felt like eternity- everyone sits around the airport, trapped in a sleep deprivation experiment until their next flight. When I got to Gabon the customs guy waved me right through because he said I looked too exhausted and I think he was afraid I would fall over on the spot. Luckily I had a nice relaxing weekend to recover from it all and didn’t do much except catch up with friends, eat good food and watch birds from the wonderful patio at the Cas de Passage house where I stay when in Libreville. The weather is nice- 80 degrees during the day and 60's at night. The rainy season has just begun but that doesn't mean it rains all the time- like Florida it is actually sunny most of the time and then rains for a hour or so in the late afternoon or evening.

A gorgeous native orchid (Cyrtorchis chailluana) in the garden.

Tomorrow I’ll fly to Gamba which is about halfway down the coast of Gabon, and I’ll spend the next 3 weeks there surveying the N’dogo Lagoon.

No comments: